Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mom told me I needed to update my blog, which is true.

So, work. I went from prn ER nurse to Full-time float pool nurse to part-time ER nurse in the space of about 4 weeks. Even though it's part-time status so my benefits took a hit, and one department instead of floating so my base pay took a hit, over all I am happy with the change. I was not impressed by their organization and was actually relieved when the out was offered. The hospital is okay, kind of what you get from a non-profit hospital serving the poorer population. Not really your first choice, but most likely you'll live through it.
I once read that everyone who comes to the ER believes they have an emergency. I have since decided that is an outright lie. The ER is for emergencies, yes, but is also the stop for anyone who cannot pay for a doctor, just plain doesn't want to try to pay for a doctor, or has at least 4 doctors but hits them all up for different complaints to stock up on narcotics. I hate to break it to the world, but if you are in the ER every other day for pain medication, you ARE a drug user. They'll even show up multiple times in a day depending on what doctor they get the first time, a bleeding heart or one who skimps on pain meds. I have only been there a month and already some of the patients have seen so much of me they say hi and call me by name as they walk back to their rooms. Most of my co-workers haven't even seen enough of me to know my name and say it right, and already my patients know me. Good grief.
The worst part of being an ER nurse is how many people you see with sore throat, congestion, fever and cough. Guess what I have? The hospital also has a policy of disciplinary action if you call in sick more than 3 days per YEAR. I can understand trying to discourage calling in when you aren't actually sick, but who is only sick 3 times per year?
I have been on a game spree lately. I have a bunch of new card games to play, which I carry around when I go home. Of course, now I have all these games and I can't get half my family to play them with me. I still bring them, and the addiction continues. There should be some new amazon packages appearing soon with some new games to learn and try out.
Fritz is growing and now gets to pester grandma as she rakes leaves. I don't know what he'll think of spring and summer, but he enjoys winter a lot. He found snow quite entertaining. He must like visiting home, because he's always willing to get in the car to leave, but he's hard to load to come back. About the only time he's not happy and bouncing around is when he's getting a bath. So far that's the only thing he hasn't found exciting. It's pretty funny watching him slip all over the floor when I allow him out of the tub. He's just full speed all the time. He loves belly rubs more than pretty much everything. In his opinion, love beats all, but play time is a very close second. Smart boy

1 comment:

Veralyn said...

3 days out of the year?! That is pretty crazy. Sometimes you are out for a week when you are sick, and sometimes it is like that 3 different times a year. Oh well...
I don't know what those people are on that get help for ER, but don't think that they can afford a real doctor. I think it is much easier to get help paying for a doctor, than walking through that $250 door. Let alone the other expenses that come with ER. I would prefer to avoid that place.

Dell and I will play games with you :) We just need to move closer....except I don't really want to play that Monopoly card game, I have a hard enough time holding onto properties in the regular monopoly without someone being able to steal them. :P