Fritz has decided to follow cars all the way up the lane now, which for awhile I kept at bay by driving away really fast. He's realized that Emily and Annabelle live up the lane and it's fun to play with them. As a result, Fritz has been introduced to life on a leash for awhile and now it seems he just goes up when following a car. The first day on the leash he just pouted and sounded like Lady in Lady in the Tramp her first night in the home as a puppy. It was kind of cute how distressing he found that. It seems that he's adapted now and doesn't quite mind so bad. He just has his usual depressed face when someone leaves without him. He's never interested in chasing squirrels or birds, though he has shown quite the affinity for digging holes. My handsome little fella always has a dirty nose. His preference is to jump and dance around you until you play with him, or, if he can't convince you to play he will eventually decide to lay as close as possible to you, lick you to death if you let him, and just enjoy being one of the people. I still think it's funny how he likes to sound like a tough watch dog, but he's still a shy little coward. Sometimes he'll bark at the cows when they come too close, but it seems he's backed off the cows unless they are on his lawn or there is a person with them, or me with him. I think perhaps a bad experience with the electric fence that poorly controls the cows has made him less vocal against the creatures. If people are anywhere in his sight or hearing range he'll bark at them. Of course, if they approach and I'm near he hides behind my leg. My great protector.
So I've found being an ER nurse leaves you with a greater feeling of power than a regular nurse. When patients are nice, as always, I'm inclined to be as nice as possible back. Even if perhaps I think they are morons wasting time and resources by coming to the ER unnecessarily. If they're nice to me, they'll probably be fairly happy with their experience. As happy as anyone can be after leaving the emergency room. Of course, if they aren't that pleasant, then I feel much less inclined to be pleasant. Like, I get to decide what doctor I ask for pain medications before they're seen. Do I ask the one who gives happy juice to anyone, or the one that will never give the order until the patient is seen. Will I draw blood when I start the IV, or let the lab come and stick them with another needle. Will that IV go in on the first try? (I hate to be that inefficient, so I'd have to be REALLY annoyed with you to intentionally miss. Sometimes misses just happen). And the one that really bothers people, if we need to use a catheter to get a urine sample, or for some other test, I get to pick the size. I set how often that irritating blood pressure cuff goes off. Lots of little things that can give me slight satisfaction when people decide to be difficult. So, word to the wise - it's best to make friends with the nurses. We'd much rather have happy customers, but if we can't.....
1 comment:
I also knew nurses had more power than the doctors. They can also affect the attitude of the patient before the doctor even comes.
Grumpy nurse="Get me outta here!!"
Happy nurse="Bring it on!"
I much prefer nurses to be happy too :)
Post a Comment