Sunday, August 30, 2009

an empathy lesson

So, I've been having trouble with tendonitis in my wrists lately, which I have found rather unpleasant and greatly irritating. This last week I got a little look into how it may feel to have it in my legs. Mom has trouble with plantar fasciitis and it makes walking rather difficult. I feel I may have walked a mile in her shoes this week after Danny decided Monday would be a great day to have the class do about a hundred Thousand jumping jacks. He kept yelling "push it" and I kept trying to keep up. I spent the rest of the class stretching out my calves as often as I could. The next day walking around work they still felt cramped and I stretched them out there as often as I could. I got home and sat down for 40 minutes, then went to get ready for judo. I never made it to judo, because I discovered when I tried to stand that my calves were so tensed up I could barely walk. The next day I still couldn't walk right and was using icy hot, a heating pad, and massage as much as possible to try to work it out. Surprisingly they didn't bother me during kayaking class, but I almost fell over when I tried to stand after getting out. The next day I was still limping and tried to work the tightness out of my muscles. I even put tape on them to keep them in a position to stretch them out. They started to feel better, but I was still limping until I had walked for awhile to stretch out a little. Saturday they were still sore, but I wasn't limping around anymore. Thank goodness. For the record, it was about as equally unpleasant as having the 2nd degree sunburn on my legs -which was like the most excruciating shin splints you've ever felt - only on the opposite side of my legs. Both instances I'd rather have crawled than walk. So mom, kudos on managing to stay on your feet. And if anyone wants a new experience in pain, bust out a thousand or more jumping jacks.

No comments: