Last patient of the night, she'd been waiting close to an hour to come back to a room (which was good for a Sunday night, you can pretty much bank on a 1-3 hour wait primetime sundays). Had to wake her up to get her from the wheelchair to the bed. Had to wake her again a few minutes later to put the vital sign monitor on and assess her main complaint. Could hear her snoring 3 minutes after I left the room from 30 feet away. Doctor had to wake her up to see her. I had to wake her up to give her a pain shot 5 minutes later. Again, heard her snoring after I left the room. Any guesses what her main complaint was? pain from her restless leg syndrome was keeping her up, she "couldn't sleep". Yes, I thought it was dumb to give her pain meds, the doctor thought so too, but she is no stranger to the ER, and we were all aware she and her family wouldn't leave without the pain shot. My solace - the shot hurt. No, that was not intentional. It wasn't intentional on the lady swearing at me when I felt for the bone markers I needed to give her shot in the right spot either. I found that one even more satisfying. It is my professional opinion that shots hurting is for the most part, a direct reflection on the patients attitude, rather than the nurses skill. Because I give shots in the same spot in the 'ol gluteal muscle every time, and the crabby ones are always the ones who complain the most. But FYI, pain shots pretty much always hurt, no matter how good the needle wielder is.
sure am glad that lady could finally get some rest...
1 comment:
That is so funny!! People...what are we going to do...crazies.
Post a Comment