Tuesday, July 20, 2010

life goes on

much of the same going on here. Fritz spends most of his time lounging outside the bathroom window. It's usually shady there and the holes he keeps making hold water from the sprinklers for him to drink, so I guess it's as good a any place. Since he never used his dog house for a house anyway I had been using it to cover some of the places I didn't want him to dig right next to the house. The top he likes to climb on and I've caught him sleeping there like snoopy. The bottom I've turned over and it's been dubbed Fritz's pool. He's enjoyed splashing around in it. Mostly he uses it as a very large water bowl but he likes to walk around in it and get his feet wet. He finds splashing and trying to catch the water in his mouth pretty fun. Although he thinks mud puddles are the greatest thing since dog treats, and he generally prefers the puddles, he thinks sprinklers are about as pleasant as baths. I find it pretty entertaining to throw his toy in the middle of the sprinklers and watch him try to figure out how to get it without getting wet. I know, I'm terrible.

Work is going well, though it's frustrating to see what people go to the ER for. I haven't had someone come for a ingrown toenail, though I've been informed that someone has found that worthy of calling an ambulance for. I had a patient come in by ambulance for a pain medication refill. It was one of the patients who is in the ER at least 4 times a month for pain medication. Some people it isn't surprising to see 4 times a week. Someone found it necessary to come 4 times in one day awhile ago. She only made it back to a room twice because she kept leaving without being seen. I had her on visit #3. Her complaint - she couldn't close her mouth. She insisted that her tongue wouldn't fit in her mouth, so therefore, she couldn't close her mouth. No, there wasn't anything wrong with her mouth. Yes, she was high. As was the guy who insisted he stopped breathing if he didn't think about it. That's right, he believed if he didn't think about breathing he would stop, and therefore die, so naturally he couldn't fall asleep, because if he slept he wouldn't be thinking about breathing, and he would stop breathing and die. Of course he fell asleep waiting for the doctor to see him. He was shocked when he found out he hadn't died. I found it a little disappointing myself. just kidding. Most ER visits could be tied to 1) anxiety related. 2) drug related (1 and 2 overlap a lot) 3) stupid parents bringing kids in with nothing wrong with them (here's a note - if you think your kid is sick, but you have trouble catching them to bring them to the ER - they do NOT need to see a doctor). 4) People coming in for anything that they could go to a clinic for, but who prefer to make other people pay their bills. Of course, if all those people didn't go to the ER, they probably wouldn't need so many people to staff it, so I guess I should be grateful to all lazy morons for my job security. These things are interspersed by treating actual emergencies every so often. I do like some of the easy patients. Little kids who stick things up their noses or swallow little things they shouldn't tend to be adorable. I'm sure radiologist techs think, "if only I had a nickel for every nickel I saw on x-ray..."

Slowly progressing on the house. Still some organizing to do. Neat and organized I can do, but decorating isn't something I really big on - like with themes and looking snazzy. I think I'm destined to be random. As for outside I haven't done much beyond mowing the lawn and spraying weeds. Fritz does a lot more with the garden than I do. Unfortunately all he knows how to do is dig random holes. Pity he couldn't plant it for me.

Had fun at the lake today playing in the Kayaks again. I certainly like play days. Have to have another one to finish Wonder Boy. I finally beat it through level 9, but wouldn't you know it, they had a hidden tenth level if you collected all the dolls. Now I have all the dolls and am on level 10-1. Just have to get through level 10-4 and another childhood dream accomplished :) Of course, have to be home (Ontario home) to play since I don't have a nintendo wii to play it on.

Life in a nutshell I guess. Although I did leave out that while at work I wrote myself a prescription for an island vacation. Someday I'll be a beach bum on a beautiful island somewhere for a few weeks. Also plan on another trip to Holland someday including a tour of a little more of Europe. hey - single and fancy free, why not?

1 comment:

Mrs. Romriell said...

I love hearing your ER stories!! You should write a book!! I would buy it and other copies to give it to my friends and family!! Love and miss ya!