Everyone asks me about work and interesting stories. If you decide you don't really want to hear hospital stories- remember, you asked for it.
Yesterday started off rather unpleasant at work. I was told I was working on the medical/surgical floor, meaning I would have four patients on a unit where I wouldn't know where anything was. I hate being pulled to other units. From 6-2 I didn't really get a chance to sit down or chart at all, but after that it was really quiet. The only thing I like about going upstairs is once you do get a chance to sit down, the floors aren't carpeted - so the chairs roll so much better than ours do in the ICU. I enjoyed rolling across the nurses station with one push from the charts, to the computer, to the phone rolladex. Sadly, few people I work with truly appreciate the rolling chair.
The second bad start to the day was the contact lens in my right eye wasn't feeling right. My eye was watering so much one of my patients thought the doctor made me cry. I finally had to take my contact out - which didn't relieve how my eye felt very much, but at least it watered less. unfortunately I don't bring my glasses to work, so I had to leave the other contact in so I could see decently. I also don't bring contact cases or solution so I used a test tube and some saline flush to store it. I spent most of the day walking around with one eye closed. I felt like a pirate. I wanted really bad to go into a room and ask the patient "Arr matee, How be ye?" Considering a patient a few weeks ago thought the noise from the MRI machine was really a band of Indians on the warpath coming to scalp him (you've gotta love confused 80-year-olds on narcotics) and it took two hours and some "vitamin A" (ativan, a fabulous anti-anxiety/sedative) to finally calm him down - it wasn't really worth the risk. The last thing I wanted to add to my day was explaining to a doctor why the patient suddenly thought they were being held captive on a pirate ship and didn't want to get up because they thought I was taking them to walk the plank. That was a big no to the pirate theme. I wanted an eye-patch all the same. Today, I wore my glasses.
No real events today. I discharged my patient shortly before dinner, so when 5 came around I ate what was edible on the tray and went home early. The item on the tray with the most taste was the piece of white bread. I'm pretty sure the best thing I did for the patient today was get them home before that dinner tray came.
Judo is still going well. We're preparing to host a tournament soon. I'm working on the throwing forms with Dane. I preffered working with Mattias in Salt Lake. Mainly because I was the one doing the throwing then. Dane is trying to learn the kata (forms) so he can be promoted to black belt, so he has to be the one throwing. I get plenty of practice falling in normal practice, so you wouldn't think it would be that hard. The throws are done slower than you normally would in a sparring situation however, so it gives you more time to think about the fall.
That's it for now. If anything exciting happens, I'll be sure to let you know.
No comments:
Post a Comment