A letter from an aunt the other day confirmed another milestone to life - I now officially own my own car. 100% paid for by me, finally. I'm pretty excited about it.
Every so often around my friends we have those - whoa, we're adults. how'd that happen? -moments. Some people seem to process getting older and having responsibility better than others. I myself am constantly amazed that no matter how much older I get that it feels like people older or younger should be the same that they always have been. Like - my younger siblings should always be kids. It was so odd going to the singles ward awhile back with my two sisters. Somehow even though Marina graduated this year she just doesn't feel old enough to be in the singles ward even though I know she is. And friends who were older than me and have their own families just don't feel like they should be past 20, although I know they must be since I'm officially mid-20's. All this changing and growing up just feels wrong sometimes. At least I'm not the only one who goes, whoa - I'm 25. how'd that happen?
One thing that made me feel like a grown up the other day was having matching glasses. Not just plastic cups, but real glasses. I don't know why that felt particularly different, but somehow it feels reminiscent of graduating from the sippy cup to cups without lids. Grown ups with nice houses that are decorated with matching themes have matching dishes that aren't made of plastic. That's how it seems. College students have mismatched glasses from a variety of roommates who have managed to bring odd assortments of left over dishes from home and are constantly packing someone else's things by accident destroying any once matching set someone dared to bring. So somehow, matching dishes that are fragile equals a milestone in adulthood. Paying bills and doing all the shopping is nothing compared to having matching dishes. I can't explain it.
Well, Happy Halloween everyone! I gave myself a Halloween worthy fright the other night. It was on my birthday actually. I was in bed at 11:30 and realized my birthday was almost over and I hadn't blown out any candles. No birthday wish! Oh NO! There are very few opportunities for wishes and magical moments in life. I don't see many shooting stars, and birthday wishes only come around once a year so you certainly can't pass up a chance to make one. So I climbed out of bed and started to make my way out to the kitchen in search of some matches and candles. I got to the door and was feeling for the light switch when the lights came on and there was someone standing in front of me. Out came a little scream - not a AAAAHHHH! type, but the Ahhaahahh type where you're gasping and surprised and trying to suppress a scream all at the same time. What happened was I had closed my bedroom door to try to quiet the sounds of the dryer and had forgotten that on the inside of the door is a full length mirror that I never see because I never close the door. So I scared myself probably the most I've been scared in a few years, and ran into the closed door all at the same time. I've decided not to close the door anymore and just remember to do my laundry earlier. But I got the birthday wish off in time.
Another milestone - I've had my first trick-or-treaters. A truly new experience since few people ever ventured out to our house on Halloween. This is truly an evil holiday - I have to give away candy to strangers.
2 comments:
It is true, there is something more grown up about matching dishes. Especially since you do have to do your own shopping and bill paying at college, but no matching dishes there.
I laughed really hard about your spooky experience, and Mom and I love your opinion of Halloween. He he he.
So true!!! Matching glasses is that step up to adulthood...since you've come over to my house and seen, or I should say used my glasses...you know I am not willy to make that step. Yep, I am winning the little battles against adulthood. But yes...wow how did I get here...those moments have been sneeking up on me more and more as of late.
Post a Comment