I couldn't sleep last night - big surprise - so I started looking through my old journals. I recommend keeping journals, and looking through them every so often.
One thing I found gave me a good laugh. It was a conversation with a patient. A funny, extremely confused old man. This was the piece of conversation that made me laugh -
old man - I need my watch on.
me - what do you need your watch for?
o.m. - so my pants don't catch on fire.
me - you're not wearing pants.
o.m. - now you tell me!
I'd love to know what the connection was between the watch and the pants catching on fire. a different hallucinating old man asked me to butter his pillow once. He also asked me to help him with his bikini. That creeped me out. I used it to help paint a picture to the doctor of his mental status. The four most basic questions you ask people are "what's your name" "do you know where you are" "do you know what day/year it is" and "do you know why you're here?" When someone is 100%, they are really ridiculous questions, but when someone isn't all there - you get the most ridiculous and hilarious answers. One man told me he was in the petshop. later he changed his mind and decided he was at my parents house. He was the same one who got really mad at me and asked me if I was married, then when I said no he answered "well I can see why!" I must have come a long way since then, because now all the old men say they can't believe I'm not married. Now if I can only get someone under fifty to think I'm a catch. . . . Well under fifty.
3 comments:
Laena I have to say, I love your humor so much!! You made me laugh right out loud, not once but four times, and that doesn't include the giggles. I read all your post and I think I'm going to venture in the archieves as well. I am so happy you gave me your blog address!! I can't wait to share these with Nick!!
I have to say, that those are still some of the funniest stories from your nursing experience. Love ya lots!!
Where did you finally find your background layout?
Post a Comment